Sunday, May 15, 2016

Forensics In Cold War Berlin

In an elementary school, conveying a message by note is everything. For some students it's akin to being in cold-war era East Berlin, where the only way to establish secure communique is by passing a hastily written note between the Berlin Wall. In this case, the Berlin Wall is the third grade teacher. And in this case, the communique' was intercepted. And brought to me.

"I hope the school bus runs over you"

That's what the message said.

Technically a threat as well as knowing no mother would really appreciate such remarks being said to her young child, I went to work. I turned on the lights in my office and the interrogations began. I questioned those nearby where the note was found. I asked for dates, times, names.. anything that would bring me closer to the answer. I worked my beat, I did the leg-work. I sought out snitches. Three flummoxing hours later, I had narrowed it down between three third grade boys. Thing is, I was out of tricks.

"Oh, that's easy"

That's what my principal said.

"Have each student write a friendly letter to someone and compare the handwriting to the one on the note".

It was too simplistic. It worked. Minutes later, following the completion of the three friendly letters, the culprit was found.

"How'd you find me?"

The young note-passer asked.

"Simple, my friend, Forensics."


No comments:

Post a Comment